This page contains two versions of the same material – one by an unknown author, and a second version I wrote.
Ten Commandments for Owning a Dog
1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you acquire me.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
3. Place your trust in me. Remember that before you acquire me.
4. Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, and your entertainment. I ONLY HAVE YOU.
5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don’t understand your words, I understand your voice when it is speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget.
6. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that can easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
7. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I don’t understand what you ask of me or perhaps I am not feeling well, not getting the right food, or my heart is getting old and weak.
8. Take care of me when I get old. Remember you will get old too.
9. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, “I can’t bear to watch” or “Let it happen in my absence.” EVERYTHING is easier if you are there.
10. REMEMBER, I LOVE YOU!
Ten Commandments for Animal Lovers
by Rosemary Babb
I first saw the above Ten Commandments some years ago and wrote my own version in the form of positive affirmations:
1. My life is likely to last ten to fifteen years, or even longer. I am not disposable. Once I bond with you, I want and need to spend those years with you. That means you will be there for me, and I will also be there for you, whenever you need me.
2. We each have infinite capability to understand what the other needs and wants, and all the time we need. Our intentions are good, and where there are good intentions, good results will follow. Together we will learn whatever we are supposed to learn. We will get it right!
3. I have your trust, and you have mine. If we trust each other, we can never go too far off course before finding our way back again.
4. We are never upset with each other or separated from each other for very long. Our connection is strong and dependable. We can count on each other.
5. I enjoy it when you talk to me. I understand your voice tone and your intention. We also have many other ways to communicate, and I like them, too. The important thing is that we keep communicating.
6. We have both chosen to treat each other gently and considerately. Remember, it’s a choice I’ve made, too. I appreciate your treating me kindly, and I know you appreciate my gentleness with you.
7. If we seem to be having problems getting along, we can always figure out why and find a solution. There always IS a win/win solution, and together we are smart enough to find it!
8. We already know that if one of us should happen to get ill or frail, the other one will be there for them. That is a priceless gift.
9. Everything that happens to me is easier when you are there. Your presence is healing, reassuring, and uplifting for me, because we love each other. If you let it be, my presence will be healing, reassuring, and uplifting for you, also.
10. I know that you love me. Remember that I love you, too. And love is infinite, everywhere present, all-knowing, and all-powerful. There is nothing greater than the love we share between us. We are both blessed by it.
Copyright Rosemary Babb.